Tuesday, August 17, 2010

addicts and rose bushes.

Well looky here! An abandoned blog! Boy o' boy I am bad at follow through.

I am in Washington right now. Sitting in the office of the Alano Club of the Eastside to be exact. My father is shuffling around his desk at my side. I crossed the country in three flights, miraculously sleeping through each. Boston, Milwaukee, Denver, Seattle. "Discount" air travel is getting ridiculous. I spent the first few nights with my gma and gpa in North Seattle. Got to hang with the cousins, which was long overdue and pleasant. Went sailing with Maa and Wally. They are really working the trades with their website. Quite impressive indeed. Saw my mom. Never easy, rarely fun.

Friday I went up to Bellingham to hang out with Jordan, Tina and Mei Mei the precious. We went camping at the Subdued Stringband Jamboree for the weekend up at the Deming Log Show Fairgrounds. This was one of the most fulfilling weekends I've had in a long while. It was hothothot but not humid. Between filling ourselves with the sweet sweet tunes, we swam in the river everyday and watched the meteor shower every night. I danced with my niece and laughed with my brother. Tina and I talked and talked and I love her. I felt whole.

Now I am with my papa and Donna. We saw the step fam last night and they are wonderful as usual. I only have two more days left in the Evergreen State and my feelings are quite mixed. I have finally grown to love my east coast existence but this particular visit has shaken the previous reservations I held about returning to the west. My cousins are growing into adults and my niece is racing towards the double digits. This is disturbing to me. I miss my dad and my grandparents and my step family and the trees and the rain and the clean rivers and real mountains. But I hate the unrelenting, graceless sprawl and development that is ravaging the land. There is no thought behind the growth, it's only driving force is an aged and dying concept of the American Dream, that was never going to be anything more then just a dream, that has now been turned into just another product to sell. Bah. That rant is for another day.

Long story short, I will be glad to go home to my cat and my friends and thunderstorms.

No comments: